Thursday, March 8, 2012

Go For It!

Do you have a secret dream? Is there something you've always wanted to try or to do? What's holding you back? Okay, good. Now......


What's really holding you back?


Sometimes in life we have to take big risks! We take risks everyday without thinking much of it. I could go all paranoid and tell you how you could get maimed on the way to your mailbox by a pack of wild coyotes...and many other unlikely dangers...but I won't! ;o)


Sometimes one big risk can lead to another, and another and another. We have to find our comfort level and push the boundaries of it a little bit. We'll never know our full potential if we don't step outside the lines sometimes. We'll always wonder 'what if' if we do not take some big risks in our life. 


I took a risk resigning from my job last August to stay home with my kids. I've learned more about myself in the months since I took that risk than I had my whole life. I found I am stronger than I know. I found I didn't really have a passion for what I had been doing. I learned that I am full of passion and eventually learned what my passions are!


I took another risk a couple months ago. I wrote a novel. I have learned that writing it is easy, editing it is a bear and I dread the submission process (if I ever get there!!). I also learned to push myself to write everyday, I learned it feels like a piece of me is missing if I don't write each day.


Last night I took another risk! I have always loved music, particularly singing. I  adore many genres and I have dreamed of singing on a big stage since I was a girl. Ha, that made me think of my cousins and I singing on the fireplace as a pseudo stage! At the urging of one of my best friends, I agreed I will submit an audition tape for the third season of NBC's The Voice. Last night I decided on one of the two songs I will sing for my audition...then I posted a video of me singing on YouTube for all the world to weigh in!! (I was terrified!)


Bottom line: You cannot do anything at all unless you're willing to put yourself out there. Give your lifelong dream a try! Be willing to stumble! Be open for criticism - use it to challenge yourself more! Just take a deep breath and go for it!


Thankful for: all my online friends who gave me such wonderful support last night, your encouragement means the world to me! *virtual hugs* all around!
My second thankful: the semi-unexpected weight-loss benefits of large quantities of water added to nerves and a spoonful of honey!


Lessons Learned:
*We can be motivated by the most unlikely people or events!
*My toddler has mood swings that rival mine in ways I never imagined possible
*My tween has a heart of gold hiding behind the sarcasm and attitude
*It's never too late to go after your dream & you can pursue more than one dream at a time! Just stay focused!
*My husband is my rock and without his love and support I would not be the woman I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment